Monday, April 23, 2012

Minimising Food Wastage v.2



Each week I receive a box from my veg co-op. $25.

Eight families - we all take turns shopping at the markets. We go once in 8 weeks. The other seven, we get a box delivered to our door. Fresh, seasonal and cheap!

The fun thing about receiving a box each week is the variety we get with each shopper. Everybody has different preferences. We try to shop seasonally and get some basics each week, but the variety each week is great. Some weeks we get some really unusual things e.g. dragon fruit, cauliflower, tomatoes (rogue vegetable!)

So this week's box looked like this:

veg: pumpkin, onions, mushrooms, shallots, carrots, corn, zucchini, cucumber, potato, sweet potato, celery, spinach
fruit: apples, mandarin, oranges

When it's my turn, I try and balance out veg/fruit 60/40. So a bit more fruit than this week's box.

The challenge for me, as a non-creative cook, is to use what I am given to cook a variety of meals, and to try and use up as much as I can.

This week, I'm going to make:

1. lasagne (put in mushroom, celery, carrots, zucchini, spinach)
2. Zucchini fritters (zucchini, mushroom, leftover roast veg: potato, carrot, sweet potato)
3. fish cakes (potato)
4. pumpkin soup (it's a big one!)

I think I will still have a ton of carrot left...

2 comments:

  1. You could grate carrot into your fish cakes, or add them to the pumpkin soup, make carrot soup (mmm...) or muffins! Can you tell we use a LOT of carrot in our house (1-2 kg a week)???

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! they are cheap and very healthy :) could u pls give me your muffins recipe? other veg go in them too? is the recipe on your blog?

    ReplyDelete