Monday, August 8, 2011

Slow Down

This story is from zen habits by Leo Babauta. I don't know how it relates to Minimalism exactly...but I like this idea. Thinking about others. Minimising stress and constant hurried-ness, I guess...

The first time I was in Sweden, one of my colleagues picked me up at the hotel every morning. It was September, bit cold and snowy. We would arrive early at the company and he would park far away from the entrance (2000 employees drive their car to work). The first day, I didn’t say anything, either the second or third. One morning I asked, “Do you have a fixed parking space? I’ve noticed we park far from the entrance even when there are no other cars in the lot.” To which he replied, “Since we’re here early we’ll have time to walk, and whoever gets in late will be late and need a place closer to the door. Don’t you think? Imagine my face.

5 comments:

  1. Just shows how inconsiderate Aussies are! Makes perfect sense really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cynically I want to say that unless everyone else thinks like that only the selfish will benefit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes true...but does that we mean we stop being unselfish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, nah - i should worry more about my actions and less about the other guy's, it's a battle..

    ReplyDelete