Monday, August 1, 2011

Most Precious Item

Besides grabbing the kids and the cat* if there's a fire in the house, I would grab these: my moleskins.

I have written in these since E was born (five years ago), all the funny things he has said, all the different stages of growing up, all the things we have done together as a Family. I have continued the tradition with M, now two.

These are precious. And what I would save from the fire.

All the other things, I can walk away from. Sure I will miss my shoes...and my books...and my 1950s furniture. But those can be replaced.

This is, I feel, one big benefit of Minimalism: I don't have huge dilemmas about Stuff. I don't feel like I have a big attachment to Things.

This is part of my Christian worldview too - I look forward to a new Heaven and a new earth. I don't want to live for Stuff. And spend time worrying about Stuff.

Jesus says, "I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

From the book of Matthew. Chapter 6.

*This is assuming Husband is either at work, or can save himself! I would grab him too if I needed to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment